Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:45:19 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RFC:  sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone-eabi

--Apple-Mail=_8A099A6C-45B2-41B1-BB58-C8329D337275

I (finally) got this port committed and would appreciate feedback.

Especially if you're building BeagleBone (White or Black)
images *without* Crochet, please take a look and let me know
what needs to be changed so this is useful for you.

Goals:

1) Build U-Boot as a port with correct dependencies.

        $ cd /usr/ports/sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone-eabi
        $ make
        $ make install

     This uses the arm-eabi-gcc cross-compiler so it can build on
     any FreeBSD architecture and properly spit out an ARM executable.

2) Make it unnecessary for most people to actually build U-Boot.

     The port installs the binary bits into
     /usr/local/share/u-boot/beaglebone-eabi.  From there, system
     builders such as Crochet can just copy the bits onto target images.
     This also means that the FreeBSD package-building clusters
     can build this so that people can get a usable pre-built
     U-Boot by installing a binary package.

3) Provide a full-featured U-Boot for BeagleBone that can be used
     for a variety of purposes.

     This port is currently based on the patches I developed while
     working on Crochet, and I hope to soon switch Crochet to use
     this instead of building U-Boot itself.  But it should be useful to
     anyone trying to run FreeBSD on BeagleBone, regardless of how
     you're building or booting the system.  If it's not useful to you,
     please let me know why so I can try to make it more general.
     (Rui has already suggested some changes to better support
     netbooting.)

4) Provide a template for other U-Boot ports.

     Once this is stable, I intend to use the same approach to add
     ports for U-Boot on RPi, U-Boot on PandaBoard, etc.

Tim

P.S.  By the way, to make this work, I had to add real ARM cross-compiler
ports.  We now have devel/arm-eabi-binutils and devel/arm-eabi-gcc