Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 23:53:57 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disaster recovery - killed the partition table on my bootdisk

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> rene@xs4all.nl wrote:
> > My question is very simple; can I still resque the data on my da0 disk,
> > and if so, how? I know the approximate layout of my disk; it was
> > 300M for /
> > 1500M for /usr
> > 200M for /var
> > but ofcourse, I am probably forgetting how much /swap I had ;(((
> You can try, but I doubt you'll be able to recover it unless you know
> the EXACT layout.

The lesson to be learned is that you should always have copies of your
disklabel output someplace save. Printed and stored with your offsite
backups, for instance. In a note on your palm. Posted to an
appropriate netgroup so you can get it via daja news or something
similar. Stored in a data track on the audio CD you made for your
mother-in-law. Whatever - just so it's somewhere where you can get to
it if the computer it's documenting is kaput.

	<mike