Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:43:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        GReg meno <kbagel@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does linux emulation work in 4.0 ?

GReg meno writes:
 > I had FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT installed a little while ago
 >
 > but went back to linux because. linux emulation did
 > not seem to be there( some programs I can't live
 > without).
 > Are there plans for this in the near future, I'd love
 > to help as my spring semester in college is almost out
 > and I can now take to doing things that aren't school.
 >
 > TIA
 > Greg Meno

I started it, and then ran out of time, I'll probably get back to it
later this spring, or early summer.  You can get what I've done from:

o http://www.freebsd.org/~gallatin/linux-alpha.diff.gz
o http://www.freebsd.org/~gallatin/linux-alpha.tar.gz

The diff is diffs to the kernel module build directory and
sys/i386/linux to support alpha.  The tar file is sys/alpha/linux.
This was done in mid-late March against a pre-release 4.0.  It should
apply to 4.0-RELEASE w/o too much effort.

You'll need to pull linux-base version 5.2 out of CVS to do anything
useful.  I'm using 5.2 for two reasons:

One, I'd like to be able to run em86 -- the fx!32 equiv for
Linux/alpha that allows running Linux/i386 binaries like Acroread.
This supposedly only works with 5.2.  It doesn't work yet under
emulation.  The x86 app makes about 4 system calls & segvs.  Sigh.

I'm also using 5.2 because of a really bizzare problem I'm having.
For some reason, when a linux signal handler returns, it calls #344 &
then exits rather than calling #103 (#103 is their sigreturn too,
because it is osf's).  I'm using our sigcode.. This has me totally
stumped.  I'm looking for help here.

Rather than tracking it down, I've changed #344 (linux_getresgid) to
call sigreturn().  This means we cannot run any RH 6.1 until this is
tracked down.

If you make any progress, please let me know.

Cheers,

Drew