Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:49:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   maxuser > 64 warning

We're building a custom kernel for a busy webserver.  We set the maxusers
to 256, the CHILD_MAX to 256, and the OPEN_MAX to 256.  When we run
config, we get a warning that maxusers is over 64.

Is there a problem with maxusers over 64?  We want to insure that the
kernel tables are large enough to handle a large number of processes
(we've already had problems with full tables) and that we can avoid
insufficient file handle problems.  The server is has 64 megs of RAM,
most of which is used as cache, so a large kernel wouldn't seem to be a
problem.  Would the kernel be significantly slower?

Cliff