Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:57:46 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Headsup! KSE Nay-sayers speak up!

At 1:49 PM -0700 8/27/01, Sean Chittenden wrote:
>  > >	If there are grave concerns about having KSE and SMPng in
>  > > 5.X, then why not push back the release date?  The value far
>  > > outweighs the extra months needed to get it finished and out
>  > > the door,   ...etc...
>  >
>>  Good idea.
>
>	Seriously, is there any reason to hold to a time line
>at the expense of some very important and very fundamental
>enhancements to FreeBSD?  I suppose that's something for -core
>to talk about/discuss, but I bet that if a poll was put on the
>homepage of FreeBSD.org (hint hint) asking about this, you'd
>get an overwhelming response to see KSE/SMPng in 5.X.  With a
>poll you might even pick up some more testers given the exposure
>(hint hint).  -sc

We can't just keep pushing back the release date because "some
very important enhancements" could be made.  It will ALWAYS be
true that there are more "very important enhancements" on
the horizon, and you can't keep running after those.  You have
to pick some point, and stick to that point, and "ship" at that
point.  As long as current is known to be in rapid flux, most
people WILL stay away from it.  And as long as most people DO
stay away from it, it will always be shaky, and it will also
be tempting to add "just one more thing" to justify the delays
you have already chalked up.  That, in turn, causes more delays.

One might call this "The Copland Effect", where you're so busy
adding new stuff that you never get to a shipping product...
You can not claim to be "kicking Linux's butt" (or anyone else's
butt) if your product is not actually "fit for production use",
which is to say, "released".

I would very much like to see the KSE work in "5.0", but I still
would rather delay that for a later release instead of delaying
"5.0" for another three or four months.

Just MO.