Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 07:34:35 +1300
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Conrad Minshall <conrad@apple.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apple's planned appoach to permissions on movable filesystems

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 11:18:59PM +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> One would better assume that files available over NFS will be read
> by anyone who wants, and, likewise, that files available on
> removable media will be read by anyone who wants. That side of the
> problem does not belong to this discussion.
>
> [...]
>
> The question here is how to minimize the cost/benefit ratio of
> letting users mount external file systems on their own. At the very
> least, the system must never trust that data. Ergo, no suid/sgid.

Show me a disk that's _not_ removable. By your logic we would have _no_
sguid/sgid binaries _ever._

Physical access to a machine is always a security risk. Why would you
treat easily-removable media any differently to slightly-harder-to-remove
media? You still need to break into the vault to remove them.

Joe