Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 13:10:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com (Sue Bauer-Lee)
Subject:   bulding new versions

Thanks, Brian.

> [Forwarded along at Sue's request, with my comments...]
>
> On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Sue Bauer-Lee wrote:
>
> >Here's the poop. Put the gzipped sources in my home dir. Unzipped. When I
> >tried to compile, I ran into a number of obstacle. First, it couldn't get
> >the location of libsx straight. It's not in /usr/X11R6/include, it's in
> >/usr/X11R6/include/libsx Second, it couldn't find libforms. To the best of
> >my knowledge, this belongs to the ncurses devel pkg. The only place it
> >exists on my FreeBSD system in /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib so I put in a sym
> >link to there. This generated the unresolved symbols. Understandable. But
> >where's the rest of the build stuff?
>
> You don't want to unzip the distfiles.  Those ideally go in
> /usr/ports/distfiles.  Later you tell me you have the FBSD cdrom, for your
> original problem (xfce) you could do something like

I didn't. Recall that I was attempting to build/install software separately
from ports structure. Does your response imply that this is not an option
for the FreeBSD distribution? Can I not compile and install software of MY
choice? As indicated, I've run into problems using ports structure and
independantly of the ports structure.

> 	cd /usr/ports/x11/xfce
> 	make DISTDIR=/cdrom/wherever/distfiles/are all

Found this in the handbook. Executed once successfully (m4), once
unsuccessfully (autoconf - claimed it couldn'y find m4 AFTER I installed m4
using ports structure).

> >> It keeps track of what you've installed.  Do an ls of /var/db/pkg.  This
> >> is where all the bookkeeping info goes, and this is where we keep the
> >> stuff we need to pkg_delete things you don't need anymore.
> >
> >found it already..... deleted some stuff I didn't want wasting space. :)
>
> Oops.  It helps to hang onto that stuff in case you want to remove
> packages later.  It's just a handful of about 3 text files in each
> directory.  If you want to save space, delete X.  :-)

Used pkg_delete to remove packages I KNOW I don't want anymore.

> >> SO, I'm guessing the problem is *maybe* you don't have a grip on our ports
> >> tree yet?  If you downloaded the distfile on your own, just drop it in
> >> /usr/ports/distfiles and the ports system should Just Find It.
> >
> >Another interesting issue. I also tried to install autoconf so I put
> >m4...gz in /tmp. Sent you the other little note, and built and installed
> >m4 without any problem. Yeah! Next, do the same for autoconf. Oops. Ports
> >stuff refuses to go look in /tmp. So I put it in /usr/ports/distfiles.
> >Still no go. What gives here? Cause it almost sounds like if I move the
> >xfce sources.gz to distfiles, and go to the xfce dir in the ports tree
> >that my build problems go away. I'm not yet convinced.
>
> 	make DISTDIR=/tmp all
>
> (Documented in /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk, but may also be in the
> handbook.)

Actually, I think this is documented as  make DISTDIR=/tmp install which,
as noted above, works, sorta. Was able to install m4 this way, but when I
went to install autoconf this way, it couldn't find m4. Recall in a previous
email (please forward that 1 also if you still have it) indicating our
secure env which won't allow outbound active ftp sessions.... Kinda blows
your 'autofind/fetch' out the window.....

Why are things apparently so restrictive??? I've had engineers productive
FASTER on Solaris x86 than what I've experienced here. How can we help make
this easier?