Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:25:05 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sound problems, interrupt priority?

Aloha,

Can someone tell me where the sound card interrupt priority lies
in the FreeBSD scheme of things?

I'm still trying to figure out why my audio output skips and stutters
occasionally with BSD 3.0-RELEASE and is rock solid with win95 on the
same hardware.  A `find' in the background makes BSD stutter a lot, but
still has no effect on win95 audio.

Shouldn't the sound drivers have the highest priority of all on a
system with SCSI disks?

I"ve talked to others with similar problems on different hardware so mine
is not an isolated case.  I've had the same problem with the BSD drivers
and the OSS drivers.

My system is a 200MHz MMX Pentium with 64Megs RAM, Adaptec 1542 SCSI,
Soundblaster AWE64 gold.

I've looked at the code but can't make sense of the interrupt priority
levels.

Is there an easy way to give the sound drivers top priority?

Thanks

Richard