Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2014 12:34:05 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
To:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GBDE not protecting the user

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 01:29:26PM +0100, RW wrote:
> You can overwrite the geli metadata on the end of the provider with dd.
> Preferably the whole partition if you want to be sure because anyone
> that's ever had access to the disk could have copied the metadata.
>
> If you are going to use a passphrase I'd recommend geli which has
> password strengthening.

If Mallory is holding a gun to my head, I want the computer to say
"The passphrase entered by the user is correct, but the on-disk
decryption keys no longer exist. The user has cooperated fully. Please
don't shoot him."

GELI does not do this. It's designed for a different threat
model. That's not a problem, or a weakness.

GBDE does. Or, rather, it's supposed to. Hence this bug report.

It's an unusual use case, yes. But the people who need this
functionality REALLY need it.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas  -  mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor