Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 11:15:58 -0700
From:      JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between RELENG_* and RELENG_*_BP

<heavily snipped>
> All this dovetails with something I expressed earlier, with regards to
> annotating documentation. Somehow, this community needs to be able to
> process a certan class of ideas in a format other than linear mailing
> lists. Perhaps some sort of meta-document is needed which describes
> how things currently work, and some sort of attachable discussion
> needs to go with ideas in that document. Perhaps this is the handbook?
>
> I don't have a completely clear picture yet. Maybe some of you can
> help me get one? =)
</heavily snipped>

The online documentation for PHP allows users to post comments at the end of
every page of the online documentation.  Often times, these comments serve to
enlighten others about various quirks of the libraries.  Perhaps doing the same
thing with the FreeBSD handbook pages (only online) might be a good idea.

To critique myself, in this particular situation, the handbook details the that
-STABLE isn't stable very well in section 19.2.2 (I'm always impressed by how
nice the handbook is).  However, user comments at the end might be nice to
explain why this branch has historically been called stable, and why it'd be
too difficult to change the name.

If there's a general concensus that this would be a good idea, I'd be willing
to help make it happen.

-jj

--
Users of C++ should consider hanging themselves rather than shooting their
legs off--it's best not to use C++ simply as a better C.