Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 06:20:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        fidol@etnlx
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   missing ethernet controller

fidol@etnlx wrote:

>                     Yonezawa, Japan, February 27 th
>
> Dear Sirs:
>
>           I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE over a
> Network by means of a Ethernet controller. The model is EtherLink
> III. I already set up the Hardware configuration, but at the time
> to choose the network installation I get only:  >
>   - cuaa0 serial port COM 1
>   - cuaa1 serial port COM 2
>   - lp0 parallel port
> etc.
>
>   My question is: where is the option for Ethernet? It means that
> the system has not recognized the board?

	the systems did not find your EtherLink III ethernet card. (3c509)
	please verify the i/o address of the card and its irq.
	make sure that the card does not conflict with any other devices.

	the at the boot> prompt enter "-c".  the machine will boot
	and let you edit the device configurations before the boot
	process finishes.  at the config> prompt type "visual".
	this will give your a full-screen editor.  change the
	settings for the "ep0" device to match the i/o address adn
	irq of your 3c509.

	if you are using the UTP connector on the card, you will need to add
	"-link2" to the ifconfig command in /etc/sysconfig.  here's what
	i use

network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
ifconfig_ep0="inet 198.35.166.171 link2 netmask 255.255.255.192"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"