Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 07:21:35 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building DocBook root versus non-root

On 2002-11-14 12:10, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> I'm stumbling around with trying to convert a technical document into
> DocBook (not using the FreeBSD DTD, just DocBook 4.1 for compatibility).
>
> Installed software as per the SGML Primer and found that even
>
> nsgmls -s docbook.sgml
>
> wouldn't find a bunch of files (like "iso-amsa.gml") unless I was logged
> in as root.  This is the DocBook example at the end of the Primer, page
> 90.  Works fine as root, including building a PDF. [1]

Any SGML_xxx vars in your environment?  Mine has (copied from the FDP
primer) the following:

keramida@gothmog:/home/keramida> env|grep SGML
SGML_ROOT=/usr/local/share/sgml
SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/catalog:\
/usr/local/share/sgml/html/catalog:/usr/local/share/sgml/iso8879/catalog:\
/usr/local/share/sgml/jade/catalog