Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 02:31:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   rarpd broken on 2.2-960801-SNAP?

    Has anyone run into problems using a 2.2-CURRENT server to handle
rarpd requests?  I've got one here that does not seem to send out
replies, although I'm not yet entirely sure if it is the OS, or some
other variable in the equation.

    I have a 2.1.0-RELEASE server that provides rarpd to six diskless
Sun 3/50 and 3/60 X terminals.  All the machines are on the same
Ethernet segment, via a dumb 16-port hub.  I replaced it with a newer
machine that was running 2.1.5-RELEASE.  Both are able to send out
rarp replies when the X terminals boot.

    The new machine was then moved in behind our firewall and upgraded
to 2.2-960801 at the same time.  When I moved one of the X terminals
behind the firewall for testing, I found it was no longer able to
determine its IP address.  :(

    The differences between the working and non-working configurations
are as follows:

1.  Worked with pre-2.2, didn't work with 2.2-current.
2.  Worked when everyone was in 198.133.36.0 network, didn't work when
    moved behind firewall and using 10.0.0.3/8 (server) and
    10.0.1.35 (X terminal).
3.  Worked when server was on same segment as terminals, didn't work
    when server was on 100Mbps switched port and terminals were on a
    10Mbps switched port

DOES WORK:
   [switch]-----[hub]-----server (198.133.36.156)
                     \----terminal (198.133.36.74)
                     \----terminal (198.133.36.75)
                     \----terminal (198.133.36.76)

DOES NOT WORK:
   server-----[switch]-----[hub]-----terminal (10.0.1.33)
 (10.0.0.3)                     \----terminal (10.0.1.34)
                                \----terminal (10.0.1.35)

    In all cases, tcpdump shows rarp requests from the terminal is
being received by the interface on the server.  However, the 2.2
server isn't sending out a reply according to tcpdump.  I tried using
a 255.255.255.0 netmask on the server and renumbering the X terminal
to 10.0.0.4 (to be in the same network), to no avail.  The /etc/hosts,
/etc/ethers and /tftpboot directory are all in order.

    Any ideas on what's going on?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.