Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2019 22:09:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, "ipfw@FreeBSD.org" <ipfw@freebsd.org>, starikarp@dismail.de
Subject:   Re: amazonaws

> > > Since it is almost impossible to keep up with the IP's....
> > >

> > This is not even remotely true.
> >
> > https://ip-ranges.amazonaws.com/ip-ranges.json
                            ^^^

> > is kept up-to-date, and you can subscribe to an SNS topic to be notified of
> > changes:
>
> That is ALL amazon address space, not the specific "compute.amazonasws.com"
                                                                    ^^^^
> address only.  I do not see how you can derive the valid values of this
> from the presented URL.

Notice the small descrete non equal domain name?  This is not even
amazon aws at all, only made to look like it:

Domain Name: amazonasws.com
Registry Domain ID: 1907818131_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.psi-usa.info
Registrar URL: https://www.psi-usa.info
Updated Date: 2019-07-01T05:31:07Z
Creation Date: 2015-03-06T19:40:26Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2020-03-06T19:40:26Z
Registrar: PSI-USA, Inc. dba Domain Robot
Registrar IANA ID: 151
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: domain-abuse@psi-usa.info
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +49.94159559482
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Organization: HUSH IP LLC
Registrant Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant State/Province: AZ
Registrant Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Phone Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Email: https://contact.domain-robot.org/amazonasws.com
Registry Admin ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Organization: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin State/Province: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Country: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Phone Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Email: https://contact.domain-robot.org/amazonasws.com
Registry Tech ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Organization: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech State/Province: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Country: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Phone Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Email: https://contact.domain-robot.org/amazonasws.com
Name Server: ns1.parkingcrew.net
Name Server: ns2.parkingcrew.net
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: https://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2019-08-07T05:03:35Z <<<

> > arn:aws:sns:us-east-1:806199016981:AmazonIpSpaceChanged
> >

> > You could put the entire contents, or a portion of it, in an ipfw table and
> > swap tables atomically upon change.
>
> Which would block ALL amazon hosted services, not just the specific
> that is "compute".
>
> # drill compute.amazonasws.com
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, rcode: NOERROR, id: 35891
> ;; flags: qr rd ra ; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;; compute.amazonasws.com.      IN      A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> compute.amazonasws.com. 600     IN      A       185.53.179.8
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> amazonasws.com. 172799  IN      NS      ns2.parkingcrew.net.
> amazonasws.com. 172799  IN      NS      ns1.parkingcrew.net.
>
> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> ns1.parkingcrew.net.    300     IN      A       13.248.158.159
>

> Which I believe to be an advertising sprinkler used by all
> sorts of stuff to spam your browser with a random ad page.

Defanitly confirmed, each open of the url:
http://compute.amazonasws.com takes you to a new
spam ad