Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 07:26:36 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Raul Zighelboim <mango@staff.communique.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is 3.0 stable enough ?

On Sun, Aug 03, 1997 at 05:01:57PM -0500, Raul Zighelboim wrote:

> 	I am about to iunstall FreeBSD on a new INN NEWS server.  This
> system will have 512 Megs of RAM.
>
> 	I am debating between usign 2.2.2-RELEASE anf 3.0-SNAP.
>
> I would not mind beta testing 3.0 , but I do require some stability ;-).
>
> Therefore, is 3.0 stable enough as to test it in a production
> environment ?

Theoretically yes, I run -current for nearly a year, but sometimes
there are phases, where -current (if you update regulary) can bring
you into an inconsistant state. This isnīt wanted in a production
environment.

Another thing is, that the ports collection seem to focus on
-STABLE. Then you have some extra work to spend in installing
certain applications, mainly tcl/tk based ones (scotty, ...).

If I were you Iīd install 2.2.2 now, upgrade the sources to
2.2-STABLE, do a make world and then install inn and other
applications from the ports collection.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD