Date:      Mon, 26 May 2014 23:49:31 +0530
From:      Shonali Balakrishna <shon.balakrishna@gmail.com>
To:        soc-status@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [BSNMP Enhancements] Status Report (Shonali Balakrishna)

Hi,

I am Shonali Balakrishna and I am working on BSNMP Enhancements this GSOC.
The enhancements I'm looking to add to BSNMP is full IPv6 support for the
daemon bsnmpd
as well as for bsnmp tools, as a loadable transport module.

So far, I have prepared my development/testing environment - FreeBSD 11
CURRENT on VirtualBox on an Windows 7 system - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M
CPU @ 2.50 GHz with 8GB RAM. I've duplicated the head branch in my svn
namespace and also cloned it locally on my VM. I've also configured and
setup the missing utilities on CURRENT like the ports tree and so on. I ran
into a couple of problems with svn and fetching the head branch to my VM,
but was able to resolve it and now have everything up and working.

I've also been looking into the bsnmpd transport source code and identifying
the parts of the code base that assume the type of transport to be IPv4. I
will be working on making bsnmpd code protocol independent - able to run
SNMP over both IPv6 and IPv4 - in the week to come. I have started looking
at trans_udp.c and trans_lsock.c for the same and will be working on an
IPv6 implementation of these to begin with. I have also been looking at
other parts of the code base that will need to be worked on.

I will provide feedback on the same next week.

Thanks and Regards,
--
Shonali Balakrishna