Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:01:23 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        David Wilson <davew@sai.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing DNS serials in multiple zone files

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 06:50:13PM +0200, David Wilson thus sprach:

> I'm sure this is pretty easy, I'm just not sure on how to do it. ;-)

> I have 300 DNS zones on my FreeBSD boxlet, and I need to change
> the serials on all of them.

> How would go about doing this in one easy step so that I didn't
> have to vi 300 times. ?

Well it's a bit late now for what I do, but in the future.

In your site records use the include directive like this.

$INCLUDE named.soa

Then have ONE file [more if you need to just just different
include], and have just the pertinent SOA records in it.  Then it
is one serial number you change.

The only downside I can see is that all the domains get the same
serial number, but if you need to know zone modifcation date
you can include that in each zone when you modify them.  I just use
the time stamp on the file for my records.  I find it works well
for me.

For your current sites you'll have to try one of the approaches
others have outlined.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com