Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:27:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld across signal changes not quite right

Peter Jeremy writes:
| Thanks to Marcel's latest Makefile.inc1 changes (1.92), a -current
| buildworld running on an older -current system now progresses much
| further - in fact it now completes :-).
|
| There are, however still a few problems - as far as I can tell, these
| are all related to the wrong version of perl being called whilst perl
| is being built in the ">>> Building everything.." section.
|
| I'm not sure how to fix this problem.  Unlike our other build tools,
| perl is not designed to be able to be cross-built:  It builds bits
| of itself and assumes they can be safely executed to build other bits.

Yes this is very tricky.  I run into a lesser issue when switching
from threaded perl to unthread perl.  This is currently broken since
it doesn't link with the just built libs.

This is further complicated in that other things sometimes need to
find out how perl was built by asking perl.  An example is vi with perl
support which is also broken under threads.

I can't see an obvious around this except to build a "build tools" version
for use during the build and then a final version.  An issue with this
would be how to generate the config.h for the build platform since we
currently have those pre-made for our target platforms.  This doesn't
address the issue of perl needing to report how it was built.

I have sent in fixes for the 2 threaded perl issues.

Doug A.