Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2019 11:06:16 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 10:25 AM Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org> wrote:

> On 3/24/19 5:57 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
> >
> > He's asking for stopping doing a make install in src/stand. I'm thinking
> > that's a good thing. We should update the ESP's \efi\freebsd\loader.efi,
> > but leave the\efi\boot\bootXXXX.efi alone as part of this new
> installloader
> > phase. Again, only if the ESP is mounted, and we have a default spot for
> > it. For this script, I don't think hunting for the ESP is the right way
> > go... which means we need to define a standard place for the ESP to be
> > mounted, which we should do before we turn on any of these features.
>

> I booted openSUSE Tumbleweed last night on my ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
> board for the first time in a while and updated it to the latest
> revision. This morning I went to boot into FreeBSD and the "FreeBSD"
> boot entry had disappeared! Fortunately I have rEFInd installed so I
> could select the "UEFI OS" entry and get back into FreeBSD, but that's
> another reason we need to be really careful about relying too heavily on
> the boot manager variables.

I understand that. However, boot manager variables are the standard, and
are the first thing we should use. Having alternatives has already been
established for the crazy arm environments that can't be bothered to
implement write. There are limits, however, to how much of the crazy can be
contained here, and how far we can go without hitting serious 'make a
guess' territory that jeopardizes the ability to do something complicated
for people that need to have multiple things that look like they might be
bootable, but prefer one over the other (the most common case of this is
nanobsd's ping-pong upgrade, though there are others).

Do you know why the FreeBSD entry disappeared? Was it something that the
BIOS did? Was it a bug / feature in openSUSE? You installer rEFInd, so
maybe that did something naughty. It would be great to know how this came
to pass by recreating it.

But all of that is orthogonal to the ask that we separate out the boot
loader installation from the world, which implies we need to finally
standardize on an ESP mount point and likely other things as well.

Warner