Date:      Wed, 15 May 2013 08:44:49 +0200
From:      Roland van Laar <roland@micite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS mirror install /mnt is empty

On 13-05-13 07:58, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2013 23:11+0200, Roland van Laar wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I followed these[1] step up to the Finishing touches.
>> I'm using a 9.1 Release.
>>
>> After the install I go into the shell and /mnt is empty.
>> The mount command shows that the zfs partitions are mounted.
>> When I reboot the system it can't find the bootloader.
>>
>> What can I do to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Roland van Laar
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE
> Looking through the wiki notes I would do a couple of things in a
> different way.
>
> Since you're running 9.1-RELEASE you should take into account the need
> for the /boot/zfs/zpool.cache file until 9.2-RELEASE exist or you
> switch to the latest 9-STABLE.
>
> Create your zpool using a command like this one:
>
> zpool create -o cachefile=/tmp/zpool.cache -m /tmp/zroot zroot /dev/gpt/disk0
>
> Copy the /tmp/zpool.cache file to /tmp/zroot/boot/zfs/zpool.cache, or
> in your case to /mnt/boot/zfs/zpool.cache after extracting the base
> and kernel stuff.
>
> In the wiki section Finishing touches, perform step 4 before step 3.
> The final command missing in step 3 should be zfs unmount -a once
> more. Avoid step 5 at all cost!
>
> Maybe this recipe is easier to follow, it sure works for 9.0-RELEASE
> and 9.1-RELEASE, I only hope you're happy typing long commands, and
> yes, command line editing is available in the shell:
>
> https://ximalas.info/2011/10/17/zfs-root-fs-on-freebsd-9-0/

Thank you for that link. This worked (better).
I'm getting into the 'mountroot>' shell during the boot. Oh well, I'm
getting better at this.

The ZFS guides on the wiki leave you with a empty root zfs filesystem
after the installation.
After I know a bit more about ZFS and why the FreeBSD wiki is wrong on
ZFS installation I hope
to edit them.

Thank you all for your answers,

Regards,