Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:57:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Subject:   Re: Recommended addition to FAQ (Troubleshooting)

On 18-Feb-00 Darryl Okahata wrote:
> "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
>
>> I've used all kinds of software memory checkers, from "CheckIt" to
>> highly proprietary packages that cost even more money, and the only
>> thing they managed to convince me of is that swapping in known-good
>> memory is the best and fastest way out of these situations.  Unless
>
>      I'll second this.  I've had memory problems in the past, and every
> memory checker I used said that the memory was good.  Only by swapping
> out the bad memory (I don't have access to an hardware memory checker)
> was I able to fix my problems.
>
> --
>       Darryl Okahata
>       darrylo@sr.hp.com

 Every "good" software based memory tester I have ever used took so long to
tell me anything I could have gone to the store, bought more memory, and
swapped it before it was done.

 I don't think adding it to the ports tree would be bad for those who are
desperate, but deffinatly list it as a "basic" memory tester.

   Nicole

> DISCLAIMER: this message is the author's personal opinion and does not
> constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Agilent Technologies, or
> of the little green men that have been following him all day.

 nicole@unixgirl.com         |\ __ /|   (`\   http://www.unixgirl.com/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org | o_o  |__  ) )  http://www.dangermouse.org/