Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:17:04 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Transparent Xterm

shanon loveridge <shanon_loveridge@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I know this is a little off topic but could someone
> tell what I need to do to make the XTerm have that
> nice transparent background?

xterm itself doesn't support this gimmick, however there are a
variety of xterm/rxvt-derivatives in the ports collection that do,
e.g. x11/aterm.

Note that none of them are really transparent.  They only copy the
respective part of the root window into their background.  If you
have overlapping windows, the result is somewhat jarring.