Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 03:01:21 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Register a KLD module

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:
>

> > I have looked at the KLD examples and found out that they boils down to a
> > DECLARE_MODULE() macro with the subsystem given as SI_SUB_DRIVERS. Is
> > there any reason for using this particular SI_SUB_DRIVERS? I see another
> > example at http://www.freebsd.org/~abial/ that uses SI_SUB_EXEC.
> >
> > Is this subsystem id really useful for KLDs? KLDs are loaded when we run
> > the kldload command and the subsystem ids are sorted at boot time.
>
> This is not quite true. The KLDs can be loaded by the bootloader.
>
> Andrzej Bialecki

And DECLARE_MODULE() is a primary method of initializing things in the static
kernel binaries too.

For device driver modules it doesn't matter much, but should be done at the
same time as the others so that a complete device driver set is available
before probing begins.

Drivers that are added after probing cause a reprobe to happen/

Cheers,
-Peter