Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 19:12:33 +0100
From:      "Rick Hoppe" <mailing@rickhoppe.nl>
To:        "Exaltarea Spiritului Ludi" <c0balt@h14me.yi.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: About sshd

> I want to remouve the OpenSSH 2.3.0 package and put OpenSSh 3.0.2 but i
> can remove the first. I tried using pkg_remove but isn't working.
> The old one was installed at installation time.
> And it's about FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE on i386 box.
> i downloaded the sources, i configured it and installed but isn't work...
>
> how do I remove the old one and put the new one?
Maybe I can help you by telling you how I managed to install the new version
of OpenSSH, but I'm not totally sure if this is the right way. This is what
I did:

I've downloaded the new port-skeleton for openssh-portable from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/security/openssh-p
ortable/  and with that I replaced all contents in
/usr/ports/security/openssh-portable

After that I did a "make install" from within the directory
/usr/ports/security/openssh-portable

After a few minutes a new OpenSSH daemon was placed in /usr/local/sbin, so I
had to change the /etc/rc.conf file. Below the line sshd_enable I added the
following new line:

sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd"

I also modified the new sshd_config (in /usr/local/etc) by uncommenting and
changing the following line:
Protocol 2

I also renamed the old SSH version in /usr/sbin/sshd to /usr/sbin/sshd.old
and chmod'ed to 400

After a reboot the new OpenSSH 3.0.2p1 was automatically started, and now
accepts SSH2 only connections.

If this doesn't work for you, please reply and include some errors you get.

Regards,

Rick Hoppe
Junior System Administrator
Xtraxion Internet