Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:46:17 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        "Brian Somers" <brian@Awfulhak.org>, "Doug Barton" <Doug@gorean.org>, "Doug Barton" <DougB@gorean.org>, "FreeBSD stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Gerhard Sittig" <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, "Jason T" <luser@ahab.com>, "Peter Jeremy" <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Subject:   Re: remove empty TEMPROOT dirs at mergemaster's end? (was: cvs commit:src/usr.sbin/mergemaster mergemaster.sh)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:50:29 -0400 (EDT), Brandon D. Valentine
wrote:

>I would think that in keeping with POLA /etc/defaults should be merged
>without questions anyway.

That is one case, although probably not the only one.

>hasn't changed and upgrade it automatically?  In fact, maybe that should
>just be part of the installworld.

That is one way to think of it, but I am one for flexibility. If
someone is stubborn enough that they want to mess around the
files on that directory then we should let them be. I like the
flexibility that mergemater gives us.

>I do like your idea of allowing
>specific mergemaster exceptions, perhaps in a mergemaster.conf file,

Yes that is the best approach.

>course you've got to decide where to put it since it would traditionally
>live under /etc and get upgraded while mergemaster is running.  ;-)

This shouldn't be a problem. Read the existing file off from
/etc/.. put the content on memory and process the rest. When it
get's to /etc/mergemater.conf it will treat it as any other
file..

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate