Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:55:54 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ifconfig Nic card default mode?

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:53:39 -0500  "Joe & Fhe Barbish" wrote:
 +------------------
 | The tests were all run from the single ms/windows node.
 | I FTP connect into FBSD gateway server using a shareware PGM FTP95.
 | Uploading file from server gave the slow results posted,
 | downloading from windows to server gave fast results posted.
 | The up and down file transfers were done one after the other
 | with not restarting the FPF95 windows client.
 | The results are the same every time I do test using same files.
 |
 | I hope this gives you what you need.
 | Thanks for any help you can give me.
 +------------------

Ok. it is just some terminology things that are confusing me.  By
convention the server is always on the top of the hill. So we upload
to the server and download from the server.  "Uploading file from
server" is an uncommon way of saying it.  But that is nether here nor
there.

Let's forge ahead and see if I have all the pieces. Looking back
at your first posting on this thread Im guessing that your tests
go something like this: While sitting at the windows box you transfer
a file using ftp to the FreeBSD box.  The windows software reports
a transfer rate of 19MBps.

Then  while still sitting at the windows box you transfer a file
from the FreeBSD box to the Windows box. The windows software reports
a transfer rate of 73 KBps.

Lets look at the numbers.
By 19Mbps I'm guessing you mean 19 Mbytes/second or roughly 190Meg
bits/second.  That seems odd because that about 1.9 times faster than
100Mbit/sec.  Generally reported rates of 9MBytes/second are considered
good for 100BaseT lans.  So this number looks suspicious.

report 73 KBps. I'll assume that that is 73 Kbyte/sec or roughly
730 Kbit/second.  This number is consistent with the expected ftp
transfer rate over a cable modem rated at 1Mbit/sec.  So that number
looks suspicious too.

You are assuming that this has something to do with the fullduplex
setting of your 100BaseT cards.   I'm not so sure that this conclusion
is supported by the evidence.

Fullduplex has more to do with smuiltanious transfer rate than with
asymetric bandwidth.  duplex you will get a max of 50Mbit/sec on a
simplex session between two hosts on the lan.  more commonly you
are limited to around 25Mbit/sec because of CSMA/CD.  Fullduplex
means that CSMA/CD rules are side stepped.  A full bandwidth transfer
can happen in simultaniously in both directions with minimal
interferance.   What you are seeing sounds more like a wireing
problem.  Or maybe one card is in fullduplex while the other is in half
duplex.

--
    Chris Fedde