Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:31:58 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request For Review: libc/libc_r changes to allow -lc_r

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 07:38:00PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
[snip]
> Overview of the changes
> -----------------------

Thanks for the hard work and the great overview!

I have one objection:

[snip]
> 	_thread_sys_foo - actual syscall
> 	_foo		- weak definition to _thread_sys_foo
> 	foo		- weak definition to _thread_sys_foo
>
> I've changed all the instances of foo() to _foo() in libc for
> those hidden system calls.  Anyone modifying or adding to libc
> will have to be careful to use the same conventions.

Please, no.  Kill `un-namespace' and let us continue to use the
correct name for `foo'.  Adding underscores in front of lotsa common
calls hurt my eyes and hinders porting between different libc
implementations (e.g. our `old' one, other *BSDs).

By the way, should it be __thread_sys_foo and __foo?  Two underscores?
ISTR some rule about using a single leading underscore for file scope
(e.g. macros) and two for global scope.

Finally, I hope this will lead us into introducing all non- Standard C
(or at least non-POSIX) function identifiers in the same fashion, so
as to clean up our namespace.  For example, err(3).

Thanks again & Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org