Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 20:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rusted Root <root@mail.bw.lgca.ohio.gov>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAXUSERS???  :-0

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Rusted Root wrote:

> WE have a pentium 90 with 32 megs O ram running FreeBSD 2.1.0.  :-)

I have 2.1.5, so nyeh.  :-)

> Awhile back we recomplied the kernel (probally the wrong way).  We went
> from 16 ttys to about 32 ttys.When we have "alot" of users on at once
> (like over 14)  But we get error messages on console
> like  "kernel name"  proc table full.  (this repeates about 100 gazillion
> times)  then the system refuses any more logins  :-(

Increase your 'maxusers' value in your kernel config.  I have it set to 64
(2xmem) for no apparent reason (it's a single user workstation)  :)

See what that does.

> PS. is there a good web page ftp site I can get info like step by step
> kernel compiling ect.    We have been using your FReeBSD for oour server
> for our school system.  we have over 900 accounts and everyone is very
> happy!!

http://www.freebsd.org/

Look in Documentation, then Handbook.

Glad you're happy with the software!  It's always nice to see large
systems working smoothly.  (well, sort of)

> Where ever you go..........There you are.

-- Buckaroo Banzai