Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:16:11 -0400
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Critical Is It To Use an ISP Running FreeBSD or BSD/OS?

If it is a small ISP, then the a unix like operating system on their
servers might me someone there can help you.  With large isps, its
irrelivant.  They will only support Windows, Mac Classic (os 9 or
lower) and maybe OSX if you are lucky.

That being said, I'd like to point out that some isps are willing to
work with you.  I started work in the computer industry in 98 at a very
small isp.  I was the first tech hired.  I had experience when i
started with Windows 3.1-95, NT 4, OS/2 Warp 3, and Redhat 5.0.  By the
time I left in 2000, I handled all "odd" os calls. Basically our techs
could only handle windows 95, 98 and to some degree win 2k calls.  I
handled all NT4, OS/2, Linux, HP-UX (yeah we got some), Solaris, and
Mac calls.  if i wasn't there, customers were told to call during my
next scheduled shift.  The other techs wouldn't consider trying to help
them.  Often they just wanted dns servers, or phone numbers.  The mere
mention of another os scared the techs off.  I was considered tier 2
support, web designer/webmaster and the NT sys admin at the company
which only had 15 employees in 2000.  We had about 4000 dialups and
1000 hosting accounts (mostly linux).

In short, if you know explicit questions to ask then you can get help.
If not, you are out of luck.  I have to lie to SBC to get help with my
DSL line when it goes down just because i have a router and non windows
based oses in the house. :)

Lucas Holt
Luke@FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)