Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:01:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: bison port

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:17:16PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 05:12:19PM -0500, Joe Clarke wrote:
> > > According to the Porter's Handbook, PORTEPOCH never goes away.  This
> > > number can never be decremented....unless you rename the port, I guess.
> >
> > I believe the assumption there is that the version number will never
> > surpase some previous value.  That is not the case here.
> >
> But wouldn't anyone with the PORTEPOCH version installed think they
> have a newer version than whatever version the non PORTEPOCH version
> strictly from a pkg_version -v standpoint?

It looks that way from the handbook:

"...the new version number (e.g. 1.0,1 in the above example) is still
numerically less than the previous version (20000801), but the ,1 suffix
is treated specially by automated tools and found to be greater than the
implied suffix ",0" on the earlier package."

Joe