Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:56:52 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Garance A Drosehn <gad@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /boot like linux!

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 01:15:00AM -0500, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> I have run with softupdates on for '/' on all my systems, for
> a few years now.  It has not caused me any problems that I
> know of, but then the way I define my partitions is probably a
> lot different than what most people do.
>=20
> If we thought that softupdates made it *significantly* more
> likely that users would *lose* data, then we would not turn it
> on for any partitions!

Anthony's probably confusing softupdates + write caching on modern ATA
disks; the last undermines some of softupdates' fundamental
assumptions (ie the drive lies about data being written to disk) such
that it is indeed more likely in the event of a powerfailure that data
is lost.

Then again, write caching on modern ATA disks without softupdates also
is not really safe; so the win of turning off just softupdates is not
that big.

--Stijn

--=20
There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of
the most popular are 'Why are people born?', 'Why do they die?', and
`Why do they spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital
watches?'
		-- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24--