Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 10:42:38 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: variable sized arrays and gcc

In article <11989.871200795.kithrup.freebsd.chat@time.cdrom.com> you write:
>This has been a gcc feature for ages (and I mean years) but I've
>always avoided it in favor of an explicit alloca() call for the same
>reason - I don't want code which walks that far outside ANSI's painted
>lines.

alloca is not ANSI either, Jordan :).  Not all systems provide it; not all
compilers really have support for it.  (You can use Doug Gwyn's "portable"
one, but that's iffy.)

alloca() was the reason gcc added VLA's in the first place, actually.  And
the code is the same.

The scary part about VLA's is that they mean sizeof() is no longer a
evaluated-only-at-compile-time operator.