Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 20:25:06 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        <keith@mail.telestream.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux/FreeBSD decision

On 10/2/00, 7:50:44 PM, <keith@mail.telestream.com> wrote regarding
Linux/FreeBSD decision:

> I have a client that wants to run Linux on a couple of servers. One a
DNS
> server and one a Mail server. I'm charged with setting it all up and
> getting him up and rolling. I've suggested that he go with FreeBSD
instead
> or Linux. He's has asked why? I found myself stammering for reasons,
I've
> always chose FreeBSD over linux for personal reasons. <RPM's suck,
ports
> rule, Kernel configs/compiles are faster etc etc>. I need something I
can
> tell this guy that he would relate to since he's obviously jumped onto=

the
> linux rage of the day simply because people have told him it's the
best.
>       Any info people can suggest that I could use as ammunition would=

> be great.

> Keith

Keith,

the (big/highly loaded) sites running FreeBSD are well-known (cf the
handbook and various BSD sources for a more comprehensive list); the
fact that M$ people are changing OSes at hotmail, ahem, have been
trying to do so for **four years**, speaks for itself: even if they
somehow (as Faust did...;-) succeeded, it would be immaterial. FreeBSD
is copyrighted by the Regents of the University of California, which
University needs no presentation. You might also refer your client to
the history of [TCP]/IP (cf Greg's remarks in the Networking
chapters).

You have personally known the technical merits and excellence of
FreeBSD, so you don't need advice here :-)

<FreeBSD Advocacy tones>
If this evidence is not enough, I am afraid your client **deserves**
Linux.
</FreeBSD Advocacy tones>

Good luck,
Salvo