Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:31:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        ludwigp@bigfoot.com (Ludwig Pummer)
Cc:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of user nobody

Ludwig Pummer wrote,
> At 09:32 AM 7/5/1999 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> >Given the above, I recall reading somewhere that it's better to create a
> >separate user for apache (such as http).  Any logic behind that reasoning?
>
> Well, on my system, I created an apache user so that I could have
> apache-related files like web password or config files that Apache should
> read but that other users couldn't.

You can do that with 'nobody' as well. But as someone else pointed
out, there _is_ potential hole there if one another program running
under nobody accesses them.

Confining the webserver to a specific user allows easier process
accounting and security auditing.

I also like to take advantage of group permissions (group www) to
allow certain users the ability to edit and add pages.