Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 13:45:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      mbarkah@teton.Mines.Colorado.EDU (Ade Barkah)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gateway support

Hello,

Can someone help a network newbie with setting up FreeBSD 2.0-R
as a gateway? I've compiled gateway support into the kernel with
`options GATEWAY', and i'm running `routed -g'.

Here's the setup: I have a couple of freebsd machines at
home linked with ethernet. One of the machines (machine A)
also connects to an ISP via slip. Machine A is to be a
gateway between my local ethernet and the internet.

machine a: ip# to slip is 204.131.81.86. ip# to ethernet
is 204.131.231.1. I have this machine's default route
pointing to the ISP's slip address. Packets between
this machine and the internet are routed properly.

machine b: ethernet's ip is 204.131.231.10. The default
route is machine a's ethernet ip#. I can talk fine between
this machine and machine a.

Both machines are running FreeBSD 2.0-R. Machine A is a
pentium-90 with a 3c509, machine B is a DECpc 486/50 with
a DEC DE202 ethernet card.

Via tcpdump, when I try to ping from machine B to the internet,
I can see packets coming into machine A via the ethernet, but
I see no packets coming out of machine A's slip interface to
the internet.

I don't know what to do next... I was assuming that by
simply enabling gateway support in kernel and running
routed -g would forward packets between the two interfaces
in machine A. Obviously I'm mistaken.

I'd really appreciate any help,

-Ade Barkah