Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2013 14:48:53 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov@mail.lifanov.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: r253680 in CURRENT breaks GH ports and maybe others

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:18:51 -0400
Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov@mail.lifanov.com> wrote:

> r253680 enables SSL certificate verification for "fetch" command.
> Ports use "fetch" to download distfiles.
>
> At least all USE_GITHUB fetches are broken on CURRENT, and others
> might be too.
>
> What is the correct/intended way to handle master sites that use bad
> SSL certificates?
> Is there an intention to depend on a root certificate bundle after
> this?

Hi Nikolai,

I'd suggest to either:

Install security/ca_root_nss with ETCSYMLINK enabled

or alternatively add "--no-verify-peer" to fetch args for ports (which
would make sense, since ports uses checksums anyway)

As a quick workaround you can do:

export SSL_NO_VERIFY_PEER=1
make install

It probably makes sense to modify FETCH_ARGS
in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk to read

FETCH_ARGS?=    -AFpr --no-verify-peer

(see also man fetch(1) and fetch(3)).

Having a cert bundle *would* be nice, but like I said, the ports system
uses checksums, so the additional security probably doesn't make up for
the trouble.

Cheers,
Michael