Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 20:43:01 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Extreme political views (Was Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?)

In muc.lists.freebsd.chat, you wrote:

> Pointing to a corrupt regime that pays lip service to the idea of
> Capitalism, but is in fact an ideological cesspool in no way proves
> anything.
>
> You are effectively arguing against the existance of altruism; when
> someone does this, I generally conclude that they read Ayn Rand at
> an early age, and bought into the idea of the Aristotilian mean
> that allows people to ask questions like "Yes or no: have you
> stopped beating your wife?", and expect answers.  The problem here
> is that there are not only two answers, and your argument excludes
> the middle from consideration.

If you go back and read the thread, I was precisely arguing against this
kind of black and white portrayal of communism and capitalism (communism =
evil, capitalism = success, prosperity). I brought up the Indian state of
Kerala as an example where communism wasn't bad for the people
- not as a model state.

The state has its own set of problems due to the lack of any major
industry.

	-Arun