Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:37:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: RELEASE 4.3 -> RELENG_4_3: SUCCESSFULLY but ...

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:01:41PM +0100, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>
> > My question is: what is the real danger of doing `installworld` in
> > multiuser mode? I have doing a lot of tests in other machines tracking
> > STABLE and I have no problems so far.
>
> I've _always_ done installworld in multiuser on many servers.  That
> doesn't mean that it's the safest way, but it was safe enough for me.
>
> Joe

Well, I got talked into trying this and it panic'd the running
kernel, so I won't do it that way again! I know lots of folks have
gotten away with this, but it seems to be Russian Roulette..

I now have a "boot.config" file with "-h" in it and a null modem
cable to my portmaster. I reboot into single-user, telnet into
the portmaster and get on the serial port. Works very well.
You could also cross-connect serial ports from another server.

-Jim Durham