Date:               Thu, 28 Sep 1995 08:21:45 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: PC configuration advice wanted.

|  Doug S. stands accused of saying:
|  > Yes, and if youre creating a solution to take advantage of *one* OS
|  > or application, then you *may* find a SCSI implementation that supports
|  > your hardware and software. However, if you (as many of us are) want to
|  > remain as standardized as is reasonable, to take advantage of various
|  > OSs, then (E)IDE is (currently) the *only* way to go.
|
|  Still totally bogus.  All of the major SCSI interface families have good
|  vendor support for all of the major operating environments, and have for
|  many years.  Do I need to make a list?
|
|  In the closed minds of the average PC retailer, your argument is very
|  popular.  Out here in the real world, it's just so much crap.

Indeed: and something that may already have been mentioned: how many
manufacturers make 2 and 4GB (E)IDE drives?  Practical MTBF on (E)IDE
drives is lower on IDE than SCSI (your mileage may vary). I've personally
experienced this over the last 5 years, and in an enginerring/manufacturing
environment.  The idea for smart IDE controllers and LBA was added ex post
facto (IMHO): SCSI hosts had been doing this for quite a bit longer.

IDE is a fine fair thing for the DOS/Windows user -- get a big one (or two)
and do your thing.  But I suspect the profit margin for the manufacturers
and PC vendors also keeps them attractive vs. SCSI.  I've used them myself
for quite a while, but when it comes to setting up a platform to play with
various OS's, I've made the switch and am very glad of it.

But let's lose this thread; Doug's already made up his mind...

cheers,
larry