Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:18:20 +0100
From:      Dominic Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        regnauld@ftf.net, bright@wintelcom.net, ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu, kehlet@techfuel.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone have System V jokes?

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 07:09:44PM -0700, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> > 	/etc/inittab
> >
> > 	etc..
>
> 	printing system from hell.

Oooh, don't start me, I've been wrestling with it all week under
Solartus.

Solaris (2.6 & later) has the wonderful concept of *two* network print
systems.  The old way, and the new way.  Which one you end up using
depends on which part of the answerbook you use.  This is not made clear
*at* *all* by any of the documentation.  So I started adding networked
printers on the print server, and realised that it was doing the wrong
thing, and I really wanted to add them using the old way, which spools
jobs locally first.  It's a bloody nightmare.

And then there's the concepts of forms, wheels and so on and it gets
more complicated.

And the interface scripts, which are always wrong.

And the fact the Solaris doesn't actually update the printer settings
when you ask it to with lpadmin (you have to delete the printer and
recreate it with the new settings).

OTOH, I don't think that much of the BSD printing system.  It works, but
it's not as scalable as I'd like.  I'm going to investigate CUPS soon
(<URL:http://www.cups.org>).

--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

"vi has two modes the one in which it beeps and the one in which it doesnt."
	-- Anon.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com