Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:07:03 -0800
From:      Tejas Kokje <kokje@ISI.EDU>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   poor sound quality in 5.3 stable

Hi folks,

I recently installed FreeBSD 5.3 stable. I got my sound
blaster live 5.1 sound card working with FreeBSD by adding

device sound
device emu10k1

in the kernel configuration file. However the quality of
sound produced is of poor quality (not very clear) as compared to that
produced under Linux 2.6 series kernel.

I remember having similar quality sound when OSS was used
with Linux Kernel. Is this poor quality because of OSS ?
Is ALSA ported to FreeBSD ? Or am I just using wrong driver ?

Tejas Kokje
University of Southern California