Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 10:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Jacob J. Pinsky" <jpinsky@radonc.som.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading a currently running FreeBSD machine

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Jacob J. Pinsky wrote:
> am not sure of the procedure for doing this.  How do I actually do
> the upgrade once I have the software in hand? I want to preserve all
> user accounts and data.  Thanks.

Naturally you'll make a backup of your system before you start the
upgrade.

But, it should be a snap.  Just choose Upgrade from the installation
menus.  It puts the new files destined for /etc into a subdirectory
of /etc, leaving your current data untouched.

The hardest part will be reconciling the entries in your
/etc/sysconfig with the new rc.conf file (and that is not very
difficult either).

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com