Date:      Mon, 21 May 2007 23:08:45 +0530
From:      "Sastry Tumuluri" <sas3@tumuluri.name>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Detecting LINK_UP / LINK_DOWN events

Friends,

I am trying to catch and do some extra processing on LINK_UP and LINK_DOWN
events for my net interfaces (e.g., notify my admin, log the event, ...).
Tried this on both FreeBSD 6.1 and on FreeBSD 6.2.

I tried using the devd.conf file with the following code (shows LINK_DOWN;
wrote similar stuff for LINK_UP):

notify 10 {
    match   "type"    "LINK_DOWN";
    action   "logger -s alert: Caught LINK_DOWN on dev: $device-name
subsys:  $subsystem";
};

Didn't work. I tried the above with both strict match conditions (using
vendor, device and class matches) as well as very general (like the above).
Didn't work.
I ran killed devd and ran it in the foreground with "devd -dD". Then I
logged into a different pty and used
ifconfig lnc0 down     #(lnc0 is my ethernet device).
devd doesn't even seem to catch the event (no output at all - both on screen
and in syslog).

On the other hand, "nomatch" and "attach" messages do seem to get through (I
wrote similar stuff for nomatch & attach, and they are showing up at bootup
and in syslog).
What could I be doing wrong?

Regards,

==sas3==