Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:29:56 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Per Engelbrecht <per@xterm.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for switch recommendations ...

One thing I hate about comparison shopping for computers ... there are
sooooo many options :(

What is the difference between Layer2 and Layer3, and what does that
affect?

I see the HP Procurve 2626 (I don't need 50 ports yet) for ~$600 on the
web ... while I can pick up the Dell PowerConnect 3324 is ~$500 ...

How do I compare the two?  They seem to both use different terminologies
for what I'd guess are the same thing:

HP:
Throughput: 2650 - 10.1 mpps (64-byte packets) 2626 - 6.6 mpps (64-byte packets)
Switching capacity: 2650 - 13.6 Gbps 2626 - 9.6 Gbps

Dell:
	Switch Fabric Capacity 8.8 Gb/s
	Forwarding Rate 6.5 Mpps

So, in both cases, the HP  is faster, but ... is that 6.6mpps "per port"
(ie. the pp?) ... right now, I'm seeing max of around 3Mps going out a
server, with average being well below 1 ... so I can't see hitting that
high any time soon ...

Based on the #s for throughput, I can't see a big advantage of HP over
Dell to warrant the extra cost, but I see nothing on Dell about the
Layer2/3 stuff ... but not sure what that gives either ...

Price wise, both the HP and Dell versions look reasonable, and I think the
Dell is easier for me to get in Panama (I know there is a local office for
them there) ...

I've had one + for Dell ... does anyone have any caveats against them?  Or
kudos too?