Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 1995 22:40:44 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        ache%astral.msk.su@xenix.elvisti.kiev.ua
Cc:        freebsd-hackers%freebsd.org@xenix.elvisti.kiev.ua
Subject:   Re: Localization stuff?

Hello,

:) It will be nice to implement whole family too at least for 8bit subset.
:)
	Course, but we'll see how it will go :)

:) >4. Submitting the results to the main source tree.
:)
:) Better send results to me first for review, than I'll
:) commit them to source tree.
:)
	No problem.

:) Current LC_CTYPE locale is slightly rewritten (optimized for space,
:) better ctype handling for signed 8bit chars)
:) BSD 4.4Lite locale and based on Runes UTF coding.

	Any pointer to ftp'able Runes UTF coding doco? Samples?

:) I am not shure, but seems that Linux and SunOS locales
:) not support Runes, so it maybe good idea to write LC_COLLATE

	Not sure about SunOS (I'll check more),
	but Linux certainly hasn't.

:) for 8bit subset only as first step, if it will be hard to make it
:) for Runes encoding.

	That's what I told from the very beginning -- 8-bit LC_COLLATE
	as a minimal goal, then we'll see how difficult it
	will be to do more or better job.

:) In any case whole current scheme  should be preserved.

	Agreed.

:) I think original BSD locale author not bothering
:) to implement whole locale family, but maybe I am wrong.

	Who is he? Comments in the code refers to "Paul Borman at
	Krystal Technologies", but no e-mail address hints.

:) As external and user interface we should follow POSIX locale
:) description, if it isn't conflict with current scheme.
:)
	Are the present manpages for setlocale(), strcoll()
	and friends good enough? Or there is some explicit
	description of POSIX requirements somewhere?

:) Check mklocale code, there is locale data files too (currently koi8-r,
:) iso8859-1 and Japan)
:)
	Taken.

--

	With best wishes -- Andrew Stesin, Elvisti.Kiev.UA sysadmin.