Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 23:48:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reasonably priced RAID 1 in a 1U server?

hello!

    in the near future, i'm going to need to put together a 1U server
for running a FreeBSD server system.  One of the things I would like it
to have a RAID 1 support, set up in such a way that if a disk fails,
the system can keep running with the other.  Ideally, the fix for a bad
disk would simply be to put in another disk and reboot and be back.  My
main goal is complete duplication of the data, and as simple a
replacement as possible.

    The question is:  just what fits in a 1U server -- I'm a little new
to these, and don't want to buy a controller that's not going to work
when i get the computer.

    Any suggestions for what I might want to set up here?  any
recommendations for 1U servers that I might want to consider for
maximal FreeBSD compatibility also??

    thanks!

    marc.

Marc W, San Francisco, CA