Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:09:04 -0400
From:      "Dale E. Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Tech|Posting] windows debate

-------- Original Message --------
        Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 05:02:23 -0800 (PST)
        From: Kryptonite Hero <abortignore@yahoo.com>
     Subject: Re: [Tech|Posting] windows debate
          To: "Dale E. Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt>

Okay, there are may truths mentioned here. Even though Jon may have vented his
opinion on facts that most know (and misconstrued historical events whcih I will
not get into now) , M$ will be around for a long time and not a passing
nuisance.

It is rumoured B_Gates has a picture of Henry Ford on this desk, facing him,
which he mediates on every day. Not because Ford too also took something he did
not invent -a particular product and became industry leader for a while by
excellent operational marketing processes BUT because Ford was LEADER FOR A
WHILE. Bill Gates SWORE Microsoft will not lose it dominance like Ford Motors
did to become a company in limbo. He has entrenched "MS Technology" and continue
to do. Half the stuff M$ does is for long term survival. The Board estiimates
their fortunes are safe for the next 5 years. Plans must be put in place for the
next 20.

Also, MS has led. B_Gates are buying the pioneers of MS around the world to move
technology on the wings of MS. These are people who were there before MS (makers
of PDP, Multics, IBM experts, British theorists back in von Neumann dayz etc).

Mandate: We know you hate MS technology. Well, here is a 1 million and stock
options. Do something about it. But use Win32 to do it.

Result: MS has influenced interface design in conjuction with MIT Media Labs,
expanded on distributed components, showed that a variety of other technoogy can
be incorporated and can work (sometimes) and of course OLE now ActiveX.

Difference: Netscape, Corel, Sun, Oracle write ELEGANT, WORKING code. M$ creates
new ideas which the others follow and adopt ANYHOW

my humble contribution

Kerry

"Dale E. Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt> wrote:

     If you have any idea who Jonathon McKitrick is you will save or print
     this
     message and value it for the rest of your lives

     =======
     Only a couple;)

     On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

     >I'm having a debate with my brother-in-law over microsoft's business
     >tactics and bill gates. He argues that gates is a genius for getting
     PCs
     >in the hands of average people, not just computer geeks. He argues
     that

     Gate's "genius" is only the stupidity and arrogance of IBM (along with

     the arrogance of Digital Research.) As near as I can recall, the only
     thing M$ created was a version of Basic. Everything else, he bought.
     (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

     >gates was brilliant for his marketing tactics that locked people into

     >windows, and that he gave people what they wanted: easy-to-use

     Gates was brutal in his tactics -- not brilliant. He bought the
     brilliance, as well. Everything that constitutes windows was
     "borrowed" from someone else and butchered into the twisted mess that
     is "Windows."

     >computers. He argues that there may be better OSes out there, but
     that
     >gates just had the wherewithall to market it correctly and make it
     cheap

     That much, I think is true. Thanks to the sweetheart deal with IBM.
     Although I would hardly call it "cheap" anymore;) I would, though, ask

     why he's more interested in marketing skill than reality.

     >enough and easy enough for the average person to use. He agrees that

     That isn't true. He rode in on IBM's coattails. If IBM hadn't been
     what they were -- and still are, Gates would have had no credibilty at

     all. It's a testimony, which Gates correctly read, to the gullibility
     of the average consumer. Gates has shown all the street skills of the
     average pimp. He just applied it to a different whore.

     >crashes are no fun, and agrees that M$ may be a monopoly, but thinks
     that
     >gates did good for consumers, not bad, and that M$ singlehandedly
     brought

     Sure, Gates did a good job. He brought poor, misapplied technology to
     millions who never knew they needed or wanted such a misapplication of

     good ideas and still can't figure out how to apply it. He sold the
     "emporor's new clothes."

     It never ceases to amaze me that, normally rational people who
     wouldn't accept such a shoddy product in real life, are willing to
     accept such shoddy performance simply because they've been convinced
     that a) it's normal in "high tech", b) it's the only way the average
     individual can be modern and c) the only way they can be compatible.

     Ask your brother-in-law why he didn't buy a Ford (or Chevy or Dodge --

     what ever he didn't buy.) Why should there be a different standard for

     software? How would he feel if the only car he could drive was a
     ?

     >the computer industry to the cutting edge of the eceonomy and brought
     the
     >US to its economic growth it enjoys right now. Any thoughts?

     Gates didn't bring us anywhere. The consumer and their choices brought

     us where we are. That will change, as it has in the past.

     Gates was the first individual who understood how to punch the
     consumer's hot button with "high tech." As more vendors learn how to
     punch the same button and more consumers get tired of the M$ crap,
     more will look for alternatives. Of course, more will also look for
     less complicated means of convenience -- which is the future of the
     current trend.

     Right now, _every_ vendor out there seems to be in mortal combat
     trying to get their idea of the "best" way into the minds of the
     consumer. Better ideas than M$ existed in the past, and the still do
     today. The redeeming grace is that M$ is suffering the same hubris as
     IBM and as did Digital Research. Mr. Gates hasn't been humble enough
     to learn that lesson. I suspect M$ will suffer the same fate in the
     near future.

     I predict that M$ is only a temporary annoyance;) If your
     brother-in-law wants to cast his lot with a company that is
     practicing what, in the past, has proven a losing proposition, the
     best he can hope for is relearning another new world and an endless
     chase of "compatibility."

     And, no, I don't think any form of Unix will be the answer, though, I
     think Unix, of some form will last the longest of any.

     This is only my opinion. Take it for whatever it may be worth.

     -- Jay