Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:00:47 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dan Pelleg <peldan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: success story: FreeBSD on IBM ThinkPad X23

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 04:55:37PM -0400, Dan Pelleg wrote:

> I recently put 4.5-R on a X23. There's a short account of my experience
> doing it for the benefit of future users at
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dpelleg/X23_freebsd.html

In the page above, you wrote: ``Hibernation for FreeBSD: still doesn't
work.''

It works on my X20, at least.  But with the default Windows 2000
install, hibernation is handled by Windows instead of by the BIOS.
Briefly, here is how I got hibernation working:

  = Repartition so that you have a FAT partition as the first
    partition.  It must be big enough for your hibernation file --- so
    make it a bit larger than physical memory.

  = Install DOS on that partition.

  = Download the IBM PS2 for DOS utility [1], and install it on the
    DOS partition.

  = Use the PS2 utility to create a hibernation file.

Now hibernation works.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                 http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos

[1] http://www-1.ibm.com/support/manager.wss?rs=0&rt=0&org=psg&doc=MIGR-4ZFPEG