Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:52:31 +0100
From:      Pawel Wieleba <P.Wieleba@iem.pw.edu.pl>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [port update] print/foomatic-db; how to name the package with the current date

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 08:05:53AM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Friday, 4. March 2005 16:04, Pawel Wieleba wrote:
>
> > Therefore I've got a question.
> > As stated on http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html
> > devel/foomatic-db is updated daily, therefore I would like to have an
> > up-to-date database during port installation (fetching) on my machine, not
> > just the date stated in devel/foomatic-db/Makefile.
> > I would like to do this automaticaly and I would like that this
> > information
> > (meaning date) will be added to the created package name
>
> This isn't a good idea. You don't want a port that dynamically tracks a CVS
> branch, since you cannot guarantee that way that it will 1.) build and 2.)
> the plist will be correct. Instead, you should choose a fixed date, test with
> that very thoroughly (like the present foomatic-db port, which hasn't any
> issues I am aware of) and use that.

Thanks for your comment.
In fact you're write that's why foomatic-db port should be updated more
frequently, therefore I've created PR 78397, because now database is over
a year old and many printer drivers are not included.
I also changed versioning to be the same as used by www.linuxprinting.org.
A modified port can be downloaded from:
http://www.iem.pw.edu.pl/~wielebap/foomatic-db/foomatic-db.tar.gz

Best