Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 2006 01:35:32 -0800
From:      "Mitch \(Bitblock\)" <mitch@bitblock.com>
To:        "'Kevin Oberman'" <oberman@es.net>, "'David Syphers'" <dsyphers@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: OK - I'm stumped - where IS stable? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but I looked in the handbook...

> > From: "Mitch \(Bitblock\)" <mitch@bitblock.com>
> > Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 16:15:57 -0800
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> >
> > The handbook
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-
> stable.ht
> > ml#STABLE) references
> ftp://snapshots.jp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/
> > - which doesn't seem to contain any 6.0 files newer than 2004?
> >
> > The main FTP site doesn't contain a "branches" folder for anything past
> > 4.0-stable.
> >
> > Are formal "stable releases" not available for 6.0 yet? Just the current
> > daily snapshots?

[Mitch says:] Thanks to both of you for your reply - so basically, it seems
that what was once documented...
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.ht
ml) is no longer maintained? Should I point this out to someone on a doc
list or something? Where CURRENT could be buggy and was not yet reviewed /
fully tested, and STABLE was given an extra level of QA has at some point
been abandoned then?

Or are the CVS branches still in existence, but there is just no longer an
ftp'able repository?

My reason for looking at this is that I have some hardware which worked in
5.4, but does not in 6.0 RELEASE 0, so I thought I'd try to test bootable
STABLE snapshots periodically to see if the problem gets fixed.

The handbook seems to specifically state that STABLE branch should be able
to be downloaded and installed like any normal RELEASE, but what you are
saying is that I have to patch a 6.0 RELEASE now - does the "stable" code
branch exist? Or am I likely to find unworkable snapshots?

Thanks for your patience. The more I learn the more I realize I need to
learn ;-)

m/